International and temporary motorbike insurance are some of the highly searched words. Many times, visitors ask queries related to international motorcycle policy while visiting countries like the U.S.A, Europe, Canada, India, etc.
Some visitors want these plans for the bikes they rent in international cities, and some even want this for their bikes that they want to bring with them.
Here we are mentioning various factors that one should consider when buying international or temporary insurance for motorcycles.
Motorcyclists or bikers who want to travel with their motorcycles in a foreign land are needed to bring policy document proof while riding.
The current policy of a biker may not work or may not provide coverage for self or his/her motorbike in a foreign country.
It is to be noted that the U.S.A. Customs will not release a motorbike without document proof and this rule also applies to many other countries.
Moreover, the lien holder (which is, the lending institution that owns the motorbike until it is paid off), will not ship the motorbike until its owner provides document proof for the country, he/she is traveling to.
Motorbike Insurance for Traveling to Europe
The citizens of the U.S.A. and Canada who are planning to use their motorbike for the tour to Europe will require purchasing a foreign motorbike ‘Green Card’ insurance. This coverage is given to Canadian and American citizens when they are riding to Europe. Such plans meet the foreign regulatory needs of the tourists.
One is required to buy the coverage for only liability or liability with theft, fire, collision, and vandalism for the time one is traveling.
The approximate coverage for per bodily injury, accident, and damage of property are around $750, 000. One can as well consider taking optional coverage like for collision or comprehensive coverage for accessories for guest passengers.
- How to Get International/Temporary Motorbike Insurance in Europe: The minimum mandatory liability coverage needed in Europe is ‘Green Card’ coverage for non-European and North American registered motorbikes taking to ride in Europe. This is not the part of domestic motorcycle policy from the company of the U.S.A. The European ‘Green Card’ and an optional theft and physical damage coverage available for motorbikes can be taken from any of the below-mentioned brokers:
- Motorcycle Express
- Tour Insure GmbH
- Sunrise Group International
In addition to the above-mentioned brokers, these international motorbike insurance plans are as well sold at various Euro Auto Club Offices at premiums that are lower than the premiums charged by many American Brokers.
Motorbike Insurance for Traveling to Canada or the U.S.A.
The visitors to Canada and the U.S.A. will need temporary Canada/U.S.A motorcycle insurance. This plan offers coverage for foreign nationals who are planning to visit the U.S.A. These policies meet the legal requirements of each of the states of the United States of America and also comply with every province of Canada.
The requirements of coverage include a choice of liability with theft, fire, vandalism, or liability only and coverage for collision for the number of moths one will be traveling. It as well provides liability coverage of approximately $50, 000 to $500, 000 per bodily injury, accident, property damage, along with coverage of medical payments.
The optional insurance coverage includes comprehensive and collision, uninsured coverage for motorists, and coverage for the guest passenger.
- How to Get International/ Temporary Motorbike Insurance in Canada/ U.S.A.: One can take the help of the brokers such as Fernet for purchasing this while visiting the U.S.A. A list of some of the top insurance sellers of the U.S.A. are:
- AAA Insurance
- Country Financial
- Farmers Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- National general
- Nationwide Insurance
- State Farm
Motorbike Insurance for Traveling to India
In India, it is mandatory to carry a valid motorbike insurance policy. It works best if a biker encounters an accident in a foreign land. One can either opt for third-party liability or a comprehensive cover. In this type, the coverage is provided against loss or damage to a third-party, whereas in a comprehensive plan coverage is provided for loss or damage to own vehicle with third-party coverage. To get a better idea of the cost of policy and benefits of motorbike insurance policy, click here. A motorbike policy in India costs approximately Rs.1, 000 and Rs. 2,000.
Motorbike Insurance Coverage Options:
In most of the countries, one gets the below-mentioned types of coverage for his/her motorcycles. The names may vary, however.
- Collision: Pays for the damages to motorbike minus the deductible amount.
- MedPay (Medical Payments): It is not provided in all the states of America. It provides insurance coverage for the medical bills.
- Comprehensive: This type of policy pays out for the motorcycle if it is damaged or stolen by another vehicle but not through collision. However, collisions by animals are covered and deductibles are applied.
- Personal Injury: Pays out for personal injuries of the insured.
- Roadside Assistance: At the site where the motorbike is broken down, the assistance to towing it is provided.
- Coverage of Trip Interruption: This covers lodging, food, and transportation if the motorcycle is broken.
These are a few types of plans that are provided by most of the providers in the majority of the countries.
The Final Words!
These are just the basic guidelines for purchasing international motorcycle insurance. However, one should also consider the documents of the embassy of the visiting country for getting a better understanding of the norms for bringing his/her bike or riding a bike there. One can also discuss the same with his/her travel agent as he/she can also provide an idea for the same which he/she can use.