International Driving Permit (IDP) allows the drivers in foreign nations to drive without acquiring a local driver’s permit. It is known that the International Driving License is permitted in more than 150 countries, which makes it a must-have for travelers and wanderers who usually visit many foreign countries.
It is accepted in the north of 150 nations around the world, which is quite a lot, and if an individual has it, they can easily enjoy the rides and drives in foreign countries. Carried in conjunction with a domestic or national driver’s permit, the IDP can help separate language hindrances while bridging nations. The International driving license is an excellent way to put all the nation under one permit, remove confusion, and save time. The person does not have to go and apply for the local driver’s license for a particular place.
What Is Actually an IDP( International Driving Permit)?
International Driving Permit is specifically a document that permits individuals to drive a vehicle in several countries. It is an official and approved translation of your license that can be approved and accepted by the country you are going to travel to.
It is entirely based on the treaty signed by the United States in 1949 and many other countries. The countries that recognize this driver’s permit allow individuals to drive a private motor in the respective country. In many countries, it has become an essential document, and if you are planning to go abroad, you must first check out if there is a need to have an IDP and then apply for it. You can get more information about it here. The question is, what are the countries that accept this permit? Further, we will talk about it in detail.
Countries That Accept The Idp:
150 countries allow IDP, and further, we will know about them:
- Bahamas: In the Bahamas, you only require IDP if you are planning to stay longer than 90 days. There is a specification that it is not mandatory if you live there for less than 90 days.
- Bahrain: like the Bahamas here, you will need an IDPneed an IDP if you live for more than 90 days or want to hire a car. The local authorities should also approve it at the time of your arrival.
- Botswana; Here, you will need an IDP if you want to hire a vehicle.
- Brazil; It requires a certified translation.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cyprus: if you like up to 30 days
- Denmark: more than 90 days
- Czech Republic
- Côte d’Ivoire
- french Polynesia
- Dominican Republic
- France: it isn’t mandatory by the law.
- Georgia: up to more than 90 days
- Ireland: you only need IDP if you are planning to live more than 12 months
- Kenya: required for more than 90 days
- Luxembourg: for more than six months
- Lithuania: for more than six months
- Philippines: for car hiring and also if someone stays for more than 90 days
- Papua New Guinea: for more than 30 days
- North Macedonia
- San Marino
- Sierra leone
- Singapore: if you stay longer than 30 days
- Poland: for more than six months
- Portugal; for more than six months
- Saudi Arabia: if you want to hire an automobile
- Taiwan: if you are staying more than 30 days
- Sweden: more than one year
- Sri Lanka
- South Korea
- Spain: up to 6 months
- Slovakia: for more than six months
- South Africa
- Slovenia: for more than 90 days
- Uganda: for more than 90 days
- United kingdom
- Vatican City
- Ukraine: for more than 12 months
- Trinidad and Tobago: for more than 90 days
- United Arab Emirates
- United States
These are the countries that require IDP; exceptions are also there. You must first visit the official consultation website or embassy of your destination country to learn about it more in detail.
Why Do You Need an International Driving Permit?
If you are still unfamiliar with what all needs and benefits it will give you if you are taking it with yourself to the foreign country, then you must read further:
The document is legal proof that states that you can now drive or hire( in certain countries) a vehicle of a specific category stated in the IDP. If you are planning a trip, you must first research that if you drive a car there, will you be requiring the IDP? If yes, then you must apply for IDP.
The country’s authorities will be able to recognize the credentials required for driving legally in a foreign country. It becomes more accessible for the local authorities to allow you to drive a specific vehicle as the translation will help them to know about your credentials. It works as a legal translator that quickly lets the authorities know about you.
When you have a legal permit, it will imply that you have legally passed the driving test and are free to drive any vehicle abroad. You can also practice driving practice and theory. It also allows you to take part in the traffic and that too securely. It ensures that you can drive safely.
International Driving Permit has become a necessity now as it is accepted in most countries. Even if you are going to any foreign country close to you, you will still require it. If you are planning to travel abroad, it is recommended to apply for International Driving Permit as it is a legal document that will help you drive and hire a vehicle abroad.