Are you planning to move to Portugal? If so, it is crucial to understand the steps involved in the process. Well, you don’t have to worry. We have covered everything in this article. You can read it till the end to get an insight into the step-by-step guide to relocation.
Moving to Portugal is a big decision, and some people get anxious initially. If you are in the same situation, it is time to research instead of worrying over this fact. The more you research, the more information you can gather. This way, you can plan to avoid all the issues that people usually experience while relocating.
Making a home in Portugal is not as challenging as it seems. The thing that matters the most is how you begin this process. If you follow the proper steps, you won’t experience any issues. That is why we are here to help you.
There are plenty of reasons why people consider moving to Portugal. This country is beautiful, offers fantastic education and health services facilities, and has many employment and growth opportunities. So, all in all, you won’t be disappointed in selecting it as a relocation country.
But before choosing Portugal to relocate your home, you should understand the procedure. Let’s get into it without wasting any more time.
What Are The Steps Involved In Relocating To Portugal?
Every country has different rules and regulations regarding relocation, especially for expats. As a beginner, you should gain as much knowledge as possible to avoid problems in the procedure. You can follow these steps to understand the process entirely:
- Visa requirements: The most significant step in moving to Portugal is getting a visa. For that, you must be familiar with visa requirements. There are various types of Portugal visas, and you have to identify which one suits you. You can consider taking some help from a professional who has extensive knowledge regarding it. The eligibility criteria for every type of visa vary in many aspects. So, get information about the same and then prepare the documents. Apart from the eligibility criteria, you should also consider checking the price. The type of visa you are selecting is crucial in the process of relocation. If you haven’t selected a suitable one, you might not continue this process. Therefore, note down all the things about every type and select one carefully.
- Get your taxpayer number: Another crucial thing that comes in the process of relocating to Portugal is getting your taxpayer number. It is termed NIF in this country. This number is used for tax purposes, and you might need it when moving to Portugal. If you are an expat, you must consider hiring a tax representative to get this number. Without this professional, it would be challenging to complete the process. There are many service providers assisting people with it. So, you can research online or offline and gather information regarding the same. If you already work in Portugal, the entire process becomes convenient. You can ask the company’s managers or higher authorities for help. This way, you don’t have to go through the pain of searching for a tax representative.
- Apply for a certificate of residency: Once you have the NIF, you can apply for a certificate of residency. You can visit the citizen center of Portugal to learn all the requirements and get started with the process. The residency certificate allows people to live in the country for five years from the starting date. For five years, you can live in the country without any restrictions. It might also help in getting citizenship in Portugal.
- Search for a suitable home: Before moving to Portugal, you need to have a suitable house to settle in. Sometimes, people make mistakes by not searching for a home until they finish the relocation process. And later, they have to experience problems while finding a suitable house. Therefore, it is always better to search for a house a little earlier. So you can focus on completing the reaction process carefully. Some people already have a rental home in the country. If that is the case with you, you don’t need to spend your time searching. When it comes to searching for a home, there is a lot of confusion in people’s minds. It is primarily because of the variety of options available in the country. However, you can consider location, facilities, nearby areas, etc., to make a perfect decision. You can also discuss your requirements with a real estate agent. Even though you might have to pay some fee for this service, you won’t regret it. Real estate agents in Portugal have more knowledge regarding the property you require. So they might provide you with the best options.
- Get health and life insurance: Relocating to Portugal also means you have to consider getting health and life insurance for you and your family ( if they live with you). Almost all the residents in this country have invested in good insurance plans that might help them in times of need. It is essential to learn the benefits of getting insurance plans if you are unfamiliar with them. Life insurance is of different types, but they cover your life. On the contrary, health insurance also has different plans, but they aim at providing medical treatment to the insured person. Many companies offer excellent insurance plans to new residents in Portugal. You can check these companies in detail and collect the required information to begin the procedure. It won’t be a good idea if you skip getting health and life insurance. Also, don’t forget to compare the plans offered by various companies.
Relocating to Portugal is a perfect idea, especially for those who want to grow their career or business. Here, you will find many employment and business opportunities without struggling hard. That is why more and more people are getting attracted to Portugal. It has become their dream country.
Apart from earning opportunities, Portugal has a lot to offer. Everything is up to the mark. You can enjoy excellent facilities, including healthcare, housing, and more. All these things contribute to improving your lifestyle. So you can consider moving here by following the above steps.